A community for students.

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing


  • 5 years ago

If you walk briskly down the carpeted corridor of a hotel, you often experience a spark upon touching the doorknob. A) What causes this? B) How might it be prevented?

  • This Question is Closed
  1. anonymous
    • 5 years ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    When you walk, you exchange charges with the carpet. You may then have an excess or deficiency of electrons (depending whether you have become negatively or positively charged respectively). Now, assume that the door knob it neutral and you have an excess of electrons (i.e. you have become negatively charged after rubbing with the carpet and the carpet therefore becomes positively charged). As soon as you touch the knob, your excess electrons will flow to the neutral door knob in order to balance the charges. This means a current is flowing. Hence you get a mild shock. To prevent this from happening try using gloves or clothes that are very bad conductors of electricity. Nylon clothes give a stronger shock. The shock is also stronger in Autumn.

  2. Not the answer you are looking for?
    Search for more explanations.

    • Attachments:

Ask your own question

Sign Up
Find more explanations on OpenStudy
Privacy Policy

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...


  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.