A community for students.

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

anonymous

  • 5 years ago

if the weather report is for 25% chance of rain on monday and 10% on tuesday whats the chance it wont rain on either days? please explain :)

  • This Question is Closed
  1. anonymous
    • 5 years ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    If you're having trouble thinking about this algebraically, you can draw a 'tree diagram' like the one I've attached. You list the possibilities that may occur after the conclusion of each event. Here, the first two branches are for Monday. You can have rain (R) or no rain (R with a 'bar' over it). If you have a probability of rain on Monday sitting at 25%, then you must have a chance of 75% no rain on Monday (in red). Now, after Monday, either it did rain or it didn't. So we now consider what will happen for Tuesday. It will either rain with probability 0.10 or not rain with probability 0.9. We must consider the possibilities at the conclusion of each even preceding it (like I've shown). The probability of no rain on both days is then P(R_1 bar) x P(R_2 bar) = 0.75 x 0.90 = 0.675 = 67.5%

  2. anonymous
    • 5 years ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    wow; thanks so much! (;

  3. anonymous
    • 5 years ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    You're welcome :)

  4. Not the answer you are looking for?
    Search for more explanations.

    • Attachments:

Ask your own question

Sign Up
Find more explanations on OpenStudy
Privacy Policy

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.