Identify the number of solutions for the system below.
2y = 4x + 2
y + 3 = 2x
Stacey Warren - Expert brainly.com
Hey! We 've verified this expert answer for you, click below to unlock the details :)
At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga.
Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
I got my questions answered at brainly.com in under 10 minutes. Go to brainly.com now for free help!
There are two main approaches to resolve this issue:
- See if the determinant is zero. This will tell you if there is a unique solution, or if there are zero or an infinite number of solutions. If it's not unique, it won't tell you if it's zero or an infinity.
- Reason geometrically, as follows:
For a system with two equations, two unknowns, remember you can think of each equation as a line in an x-y coordinate system.
One solution means the lines cross.
No solutions means they are parallel.
An infinite number of solutions means they are the same line.
- Two lines cross if they don't have the same slope.
- Two lines are parallel if they have the same slope and a different y-intercept.
- Two lines are identical if they have the same slope and the same y-intercept.
Looking at the equations above, you see that they both have the same slope (2), but different y-intercepts (1, and -3). This means you have two parallel lines, and zero solutions.