anonymous
  • anonymous
If a person ingests methanol (which is a very poisonous by-product), they can be treated with ethanol. Why is it so ?? [competitive inhibitor, because of the similar shape?]
Biology
  • Stacey Warren - Expert brainly.com
Hey! We 've verified this expert answer for you, click below to unlock the details :)
SOLVED
At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
jamiebookeater
  • jamiebookeater
I got my questions answered at brainly.com in under 10 minutes. Go to brainly.com now for free help!
anonymous
  • anonymous
Donno know. But heard that a person who consumes methanol dies soon.
anonymous
  • anonymous
Methanol is more harmful than ethanol.
anonymous
  • anonymous
The molecules are similar in shape as you suggest. Methanol gets changed to toxic molecules by the actions of two enzymes:alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase. Treatment with ethanol gives ADH lots to do so less of the methanol gets converted; instead most is excreted via the kidneys, reducing the damage. Reminds me of "Copperhead Road" a great song by Steve Earle.

Looking for something else?

Not the answer you are looking for? Search for more explanations.

More answers

anonymous
  • anonymous
but i have a doubt that mostly fruit juice also contain methanol which we consume in our daily life then why doctor still say to have juice in our diet ..
AravindG
  • AravindG
An interesting and important example of competitive substrate inhibition is the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ALD) in the presence of ethanol and methanol. If a person ingests methanol, ALD will convert it to form formaldehyde and then formate which causes blindness. Consequently, the treatment involves intravenously injecting ethanol (which is metabolized at a slower rate than methanol) at a controlled rate to tie up ALD to slow the metabolism of methanol-to-formaldehyde-to-formulate so that the kidneys have time to filter out the methanol which is then excreted in the urine. With this treatment blindness is avoided.
anonymous
  • anonymous
Which juice contains methanol for example? I have heard that wines and all brands of liquor can contain methanol.
anonymous
  • anonymous
well every fruit contains methanol
anonymous
  • anonymous
Ohhhhhh!!!!! Then we should have died long back. How do humans resist such a dangerous substance?
anonymous
  • anonymous
Hi Heena, I don't really know the answer to your question, but I recently attended a lecture by an analytic chemist. It was amazing the number of "deadly" chemicals found in everyday items such as fruit. The simple fact is the concentration of these things is so low that they do not trouble our bodies at all. It is only when these thigns are ingested in high quantities that they are harmful. Hope this helps!
anonymous
  • anonymous
Maybe they r needed to counter other harmful substances in our body and maintain a balance.

Looking for something else?

Not the answer you are looking for? Search for more explanations.