Quantcast

Got Homework?

Connect with other students for help. It's a free community.

  • across
    MIT Grad Student
    Online now
  • laura*
    Helped 1,000 students
    Online now
  • Hero
    College Math Guru
    Online now

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

mr.luna Group Title

Two cab companies operate in River City, the blue and the green, named according to the colors of the cabs they run. 85% of the cabs in River City are blue cabs and 15% are green cabs. a cab was involved in a hit and run accident at night. an eyewitness later identified the cab as green. the court tested the witness's ability to distinguish between blue and green cabs under nightitme visibiltiy conditions. it found the witness was able to identify each color correctly 80% of the time, but he confused it with the other color 20% of the time. What is the probability that the cab in the accident

  • 2 years ago
  • 2 years ago

  • This Question is Closed
  1. mr.luna Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    really was green, as the witness claimed it was?

    • 2 years ago
  2. mr.luna Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    is it 80% times 15% ?

    • 2 years ago
  3. apoorvk Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Hmm. so basically we need to find the probability of 'truth' right. Since the witness claims that the was was green, he following events may have happened ---> 'A'=The cab was actually green & the witness spotted it correctly---> 0.15 times 0.80 ---> 'B'=The cab was blue actually and the witness spotted it wrongly---> 0.85 times 0.20 The sum of Ps of the two cases = 0.12 + 0.17 P of favourable condition 'A' ---> 0.12

    • 2 years ago
  4. apoorvk Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    yes that is the absolute P for it, but you need to find the conditional probability.

    • 2 years ago
  5. mr.luna Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    whats that? how do you go about finding it?

    • 2 years ago
  6. apoorvk Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    I just provided you with the sum of the conditions. and there is that favorable condition too. so P = (favorable probability)/(Total probability) = 0.12/(0.12+0.17) = 0.12/0.29

    • 2 years ago
  7. mr.luna Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    ohhhhhh. thanks dude.

    • 2 years ago
  8. apoorvk Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    No probs, hope you understood the concepts there.

    • 2 years ago
  9. mr.luna Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    i did! :)

    • 2 years ago
    • Attachments:

See more questions >>>

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.