Quantcast

Got Homework?

Connect with other students for help. It's a free community.

  • across
    MIT Grad Student
    Online now
  • laura*
    Helped 1,000 students
    Online now
  • Hero
    College Math Guru
    Online now

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

MathSofiya Group Title

More statistics. Binomial Probability \[P(r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}p^rq^{n-r}=C_{n,r}p^rq^{n-r}\] The problem states 10% of adults deliberately do a one time fling (purchase clothing, wear 'em to an event, and return 'em). In a group of 7 adults what is the probability that anyone has done a one time fling? I figured that: n=7 r=0 I plugged those into the equation: \[P(0)=\frac{7!}{0!(7-0)!}p^0q^{7-0}=C_{7,0}p^0q^{7-0}\] What about p and q? The probability of success (p) is 0.1 (1% of people do one time flings)? and q would be 0.9? Would that be right?

  • 2 years ago
  • 2 years ago

  • This Question is Closed
  1. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @hartnn

    • 2 years ago
  2. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @mathslover ?

    • 2 years ago
  3. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    are u sure about n=7, r= 0 ?

    • 2 years ago
  4. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    out of 7, any'one' has done a one.... so do u feel r should be 1 ?

    • 2 years ago
  5. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    the probability of success = probability of flinging = p = 10% = 0.1 \(\checkmark\) the probability of failure = probability of not flinging = q = 90% = 0.9 \(\checkmark\)

    • 2 years ago
  6. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    just clear your confusion about, n and r

    • 2 years ago
  7. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    oh sorry I was gone for while. Let's see here. Give me a second to read everything. Sorry :S

    • 2 years ago
  8. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Ok so about n and r. #number of trials How do I relate that to this problem? I guessed that n=7 because it looked nice, but I don't have a good explanation for why I picked it

    • 2 years ago
  9. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    I meant n=# of trials

    • 2 years ago
  10. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    number of trials or events or no. of creatures/people on which experiment is performed = n =7 here, \(\checkmark\)

    • 2 years ago
  11. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    r is the number of people 'chosen' here probability that anyONE has done fling implies, r=1 make sense? or more explanation?

    • 2 years ago
  12. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    so when we say r=0...

    • 2 years ago
  13. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    almost never.....when we don't perform experiment.....maybe there are some special case for this

    • 2 years ago
  14. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    make sure u understand why n=7, r=1 here

    • 2 years ago
  15. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    When no one has done a fling wouldn't that be r=0?

    • 2 years ago
  16. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    umm, yes i think so....(0.9)^7 seems right

    • 2 years ago
  17. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    a) No one has done a one-time fling? r=0 b) At least one person r=1 c.) No more than two people \[r \ge 2\] That's how I calculated it, whatcha think?

    • 2 years ago
  18. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    b)P( atleast 1 person) =1-P (no one )

    • 2 years ago
  19. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    no more = less r<=2

    • 2 years ago
  20. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    oh yes. sorry.

    • 2 years ago
  21. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    exactly 1---->r=1 atleast 1 = 1- none

    • 2 years ago
  22. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    atmost 1 --> r<=1

    • 2 years ago
  23. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    make sense ?

    • 2 years ago
  24. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Yes, I think so.

    • 2 years ago
  25. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Can I show you what I did for another problem. I think my thought process is right. Feel free to point out any errors.

    • 2 years ago
  26. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    i will. yes show

    • 2 years ago
  27. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Trevor is interested in purchasing the local hardware/sporting goods store in the small town of Dove Creek, Montana. After examining accounting records for the past several years, he found that the store has been grossing over $850 per day about 60% of the business days it is open. Estimate the probability that the store will gross over $850 (a) at least 3 out of 5 business days. (b) at least 6 out of 10 business days. (c) fewer than 5 out of 10 business days. p=.60 q=.40 a.) n=5 because "number of trials or events or no. of creatures/people on which experiment is performed " => In this case we have a total number of 5 days (events/trials) at least 3 out of 5 would mean: r>=3 To calculate this I would do P[r=3]+P[r=4]+P[r=5] b.) n=10 r>=6 To calculate.... P[r=6]+P[r=7]+P[r=8]+P[r=9]+P[r=10]

    • 2 years ago
  28. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    and did u get correct answer for the problem posted ? n=7,r=1,p=0.1,q=0.9

    • 2 years ago
  29. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    and for (c) n=10 r<5

    • 2 years ago
  30. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    all n, r selections \(\huge \checkmark\)

    • 2 years ago
  31. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Yaaay!!!!! For the first problem I got a.) 0.478 b.) 0.522 c.) 0.974

    • 2 years ago
  32. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    sorry, i didn't do calculation part, i thought u had answers to verify, method is correct

    • 2 years ago
  33. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    I did have the answers =)

    • 2 years ago
  34. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Thank you once again my friend!

    • 2 years ago
  35. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    so did they match? welcome ^_^

    • 2 years ago
  36. MathSofiya Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    yes sir!

    • 2 years ago
  37. hartnn Group Title
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    ok :)

    • 2 years ago
    • Attachments:

See more questions >>>

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.