At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga.
Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
Chapter 5 (Paperback pages 66-84)
1. On the day of Rosh Hashanah, what thoughts is Elie having about God?
2. What is the “gift” that the SS give the prisoners for New Year’s?
3. What is “the inheritance” that Elie speaks of? What prompts his father to give this to him?
4. Why does Elie go to the hospital to see a doctor?
5. While Elie is in the hospital, what rumor does he hear about the Red Army (Soviets)?
6. Elie and his father decide that he will not stay in the hospital block. Ironically, what happens two days after the rest of the prisoners are evacuated?
Chapter 6 (Paperback pages 85-97)
7. As the prisoners are forced to run out of Buna, what orders are the SS given?
8. What’s the weather like as they continue on this “death march”?
9. What does Elie think that Rabbi Eliahou’s son did when they were marching? What decision does this cause Elie to make?
10. Who does Elie run into at Gleiwitz?
11. After the selection, the prisoners are given a ration of bread. What do they do for water?
12. When they are loaded into a train carriage, how many people fit?
Chapter 7 (Paperback pages 98-103)
13. What happens when a bit of bread is thrown into the train carriages?
14. Describe the conditions on cattle car.
15. Why does Wiesel interrupt his narrative with the story about the children in Aden?
16. How many people get off the train at Buchenwald?
I read the book last year. I will help you with what I remember.
5. That the Red Army was going to bomb/attack the camp (pretty sure because most prisoners were evacuated)
6. The Soviets liberate the prisoners that stayed at the camp.
7. The SS are given the order to shoot the prisoners that are falling behind.
8. it was very cold (because he stopped feeling the pain in his knee).
9. Rabbi Eliahou's son abandoned his father. Elie thought about abandoning his father for a second but did not.
10. I think he ran into Rabbi Eliahou who asked him if he saw if son. (because he thinks they were separated during the march, no that his son abandoned him).
13. Prisoners start fighting for the bread. Two men are killed.
15. I can't remember how many people got on the train but I think about 10% of them got of.