Quantcast

Got Homework?

Connect with other students for help. It's a free community.

  • across
    MIT Grad Student
    Online now
  • laura*
    Helped 1,000 students
    Online now
  • Hero
    College Math Guru
    Online now

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

Nurali

The lengths of the eggs of a species of bird are roughly normally distributed, with a mean of 32 mm and an SD of 1.2 mm. Approximately 50% of the eggs have lengths in the range 32 mm plus or minus ____________ mm.

  • one year ago
  • one year ago

  • This Question is Closed
  1. Nurali
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    @Hero

    • one year ago
  2. ZeHanz
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    This is what you need:|dw:1363253506385:dw|

    • one year ago
  3. ZeHanz
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    To find out what the number on the dots is, you have to use a table or a graphical calculator like the TI-84. These have a built-in function that accepts a probability that is cumulative from the left:|dw:1363253885929:dw|

    • one year ago
  4. ZeHanz
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    In your case, because of the given middle 50%, the parts left and right of it, are 25%, so the cumulative probability (from the left) is 75%. Suppose L is the egg-length, then you would write it in mathematical notation as follows: \(P(L<0.75|~\mu =32,~\sigma=1.2)=x\). On the TI-84, you need the invNorm-function. Type in: \(invNorm(0.75, 32,1.2)\). Result: 32.81. Now, because of the symmetry of the normal distribution, you can answer the question.

    • one year ago
  5. Nurali
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    please answer.

    • one year ago
  6. ZeHanz
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    32 mm plus or minus ____________ mm. Because we've found the "plus" side of the 50% area to be 32.81 mm, 0.81mm has been added. Your answer will be 0.81. But: it is not quite clear what number of decimals are to be given, so it could also be 0.8 or 0.809. The calculator doesn't care: it gave me 32.8093877 as result from the invNorm function...

    • one year ago
  7. Directrix
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    I worked by hand using the tables and got 32 +/- .804. I did not interpolate. The standard deviation is tight about the mean. Somehow the answer did not feel right but I think it is okay.

    • one year ago
  8. Nurali
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    correct thanks

    • one year ago
  9. Directrix
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    I had 32.238 < 32 < 32.838 as the 50% of egg lengths range. But, that is not the question.

    • one year ago
  10. ZeHanz
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    I think in general the answer of the calculator is more accurate than that of a table, but there is no need to give many decimals if the standard deviation has only 1...

    • one year ago
  11. Directrix
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    @Nurali --> My @signal does not work. Send a web mail or note message if you need my help. Unless I happen to see that you called me, I don't know.

    • one year ago
  12. Directrix
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Oh, yes, I agree @ZeHanz. I had to go with the tools I had here.

    • one year ago
  13. jishan
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    not clear

    • one year ago
  14. ZeHanz
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 2

    @jishan: what do you mean?

    • one year ago
    • Attachments:

See more questions >>>

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.