Quantcast

Got Homework?

Connect with other students for help. It's a free community.

  • across
    MIT Grad Student
    Online now
  • laura*
    Helped 1,000 students
    Online now
  • Hero
    College Math Guru
    Online now

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

JohnnyCowCow

Maria has two fair coins. She flips them in the air. She believes it is equally likely they land 2 heads, 2 tails, or 1 head and 1 tail. Which of the following statements is NOT true? Answers: A. The probability of 2 heads is 25 %. B. The probability of 1 head and 1 tail is 33 %. C. The probability of 2 heads is less than the probability of 1 head and 1 tail. D. The probability of either 2 heads or 2 tails is the same as the probability of 1 head and 1 tail.

  • one year ago
  • one year ago

  • This Question is Closed
  1. mathstudent55
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Maria has it wrong. Can you come up with all the possible outcomes of this coin toss?

    • one year ago
  2. JohnnyCowCow
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    ... umm ok?

    • one year ago
  3. mathstudent55
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Fill in this table: |dw:1364248207123:dw| Remember, each coin can only have an outcome of heads or tails.

    • one year ago
  4. JohnnyCowCow
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Tail Tail Head Head Head Tail Tail Head

    • one year ago
  5. mathstudent55
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Right. How many possible different outcomes are there?

    • one year ago
  6. JohnnyCowCow
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Four

    • one year ago
  7. JohnnyCowCow
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    It is either B or C I cannot decide

    • one year ago
  8. mathstudent55
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Good. There are 4 possible outcomes. 1 outcome out of 4 is 2 heads (25% probability) 1 outcome out of 4 is 2 tails (25% probabilty) 2 outcomes out of 4 are 1 heads and 1 tails (50% probability)

    • one year ago
  9. JohnnyCowCow
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    So it is B?

    • one year ago
  10. mathstudent55
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Correct. The probabillity of 1 heads and 1 tails is 50%, not 33%. That's why I wrote above Maria is wrong. She thought that all three outcomes have the same probabiltity.

    • one year ago
  11. JohnnyCowCow
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    Thank you! My teacher puts topics on our semester projects that she hasn't covered yet :P

    • one year ago
  12. mathstudent55
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 1

    I guess she's challenging her students. Part of your challenge is to come to OS and ask to try to figure it out. You're welcome.

    • one year ago
    • Attachments:

See more questions >>>

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.