At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
How far did you get ?
from your data, we can see that the ratio: water vapor and carbon dioxide =0.3618/ 0.762= 1/2 (approximated value)
What confuses me is that Organic compound -(burnt)-> nH2o + mCo2 so the sum of their masses must be equal or more to the compound itself but it is more.
I meant equal or less if equal -> Only H , C if less H, C, other elements
I assume the O comes from the air, and the organic compound does not contain O ?
Maybe and maybe it was C2H5OH or something else with O
But I think you are right Phi, the O comes from the air as 0.3618 + 0.762 (not equal to) 0.4122
if so the mass of (O) = 0.3618 + 0.762 - 0.4122 = 0.7116 grams
0.4122 grams of an organic compound was burnt totally I would like to know the weight of any solid ash. but you have (CH other stuff) + O= H2O + CO2 (+ ash?) so the total weight of H2O + CO2 - compound is the weight of added O ?
The problem already asks about ashes ( other elements) in the next part (2).
my original thought was 2/18 of the H2O represents the H in the compound and 12/44 of the CO2 is the amount of C
Like 0.21 grams
so oxygen in Co2 = 0.762 - 0.21 = 0.552
Hmm phi am I mistaken ?
sounds right. But the question is Find the percentage of carbon and hydrogen in the compound.
How do they measure percentage? By weight? or fractions of atoms?
Mass of Carbon ( H only) / Mass of compound (C,H)
Like normal percentages in maths
so %C is 0.21 grams / 0.4122
Yea , = 50.94 % ( 0.21/0.4122 times 100)
now do the H
wait it's 0.292 so the compound contains other elements
%H is about 0.0804/0.4122
H + C add up to about 70% of the weight of the compound 30% must be something else.
So maybe it's oxygen. The reason is : There is other elements because the sum of mass of (H) + mass of (C) is less than the mass of the compound so there is other elements and their mass is Compound - mass (h+c) =
could be. plus other stuff. I think you need more info.
I'm not a chemist.
I mean is the reasoning enough ( in your opinion ) ?
we know how many grams of H and C were in the original and are now in the CO2 and H2O. If the compound "burned completely", that must be all its C and H (burned completely means every C or H combined with O from the air) We know the C and H account for 70% of the mass of the compound. that leaves 30% of the compound being other elements, including O or whatever.
Thanks for the help @phi.