A community for students.

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

anonymous

  • one year ago

sugahead12 Of the 1,000 students in a local college, 420 own brand X mobile phones and 580 own brand Y mobile phones. Of these students, 80 own both brands of mobile phones. Find the probability that a student chosen at random has a brand X mobile phone given that he has a brand Y mobile phone. A. 2/14 B. 5/21 C. 3/28 D. 4/29

  • This Question is Open
  1. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @sugahead12

  2. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    He dont know

  3. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @princeharryyy

  4. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @OregonDuck

  5. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @dmart180

  6. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Have you learned conditional probability?

  7. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Its confusing

  8. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @Jade3115 Do you know how to draw the Venn diagram of the situation?

  9. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    |dw:1435800942120:dw| To draw the Venn diagram, you subtract 80 (own both) from 420 who own phone X to get 340 students who own ONLY phone x. Similarly for y. Let X=event that a student owns phone X, and Y=event that a student owns phone Y. So out of the 1000 students, we have 80 who own both, so P(X\(\cap\)Y)=80/1000. P(Y)=580/1000. And so conditional probability that the student owns X given that he owns Y is, by definition of conditional probability P(X|Y)=P(X\(\cap\)Y)/P(Y) Since all quantities on the right-hand side are known, the required probability can be calculated.

  10. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Thanks so much ! Can you help me with another ?

  11. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Definitely, if you participate!

  12. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    in a factory the chance that a certain machine works without overheating in the morning is 50% . if it runs smoothly all morning then there is an 85% chance that it will continue for the rest of the day and 15% chance that it will stop due to over heating . what is the probability that on a given gay it will work in the morning and overheat later on ?

  13. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    & my bad I'm doing this Plato thing

  14. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    |dw:1435801738438:dw| Here's a tree diagram that I started. Can you please fill in the probabilities of each branch?

  15. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Its 7.5% ?

  16. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Did you get that without using the tree diagram?

  17. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    I did sum extra stuff & it seemed right . & it was correct !! Any idea ab this one ? Two friends, Bob and Ben, each buy one lottery ticket. Each ticket contains six numbers from a total of one hundred numbers (0–99). Bob chooses the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and Ben chooses the numbers 39, 45, 66, 72, 74, 89. Who has a higher probability of winning?

  18. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    What do you think?

  19. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    I think Ben just not sure

  20. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    and your reasoning?

  21. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Bc his numbers are kinda scattered so he has a better number choices

  22. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    You know in these lotteries, they use identical physical balls each with a number painted on it. This is to make sure every number has an equal chance of being drawn. So based on this information, can you reconsider your reasoning?

  23. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Not enough information ?

  24. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Noo both have equal chances right ?

  25. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Yes it was lol thank you

  26. mathmate
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    You're welcome! :)

  27. LyssaKat
    • 9 months ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Its not Ben Insufficient Data?

  28. Not the answer you are looking for?
    Search for more explanations.

    • Attachments:

Ask your own question

Sign Up
Find more explanations on OpenStudy
Privacy Policy

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.