anonymous
  • anonymous
jaynator495's extension is illegally tracking ur personal activities done in the browser, record ur ip address & personal messages and send it to his backend without our permission, he can use it then to find out where u live. thank god i didnt login in my acc under his extension for the safety of your OS usage, please remove the extension and report it on google web store (where u downloaded it), and hopefully google can take this virus down
OpenStudy Feedback
  • Stacey Warren - Expert brainly.com
Hey! We 've verified this expert answer for you, click below to unlock the details :)
SOLVED
At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
chestercat
  • chestercat
I got my questions answered at brainly.com in under 10 minutes. Go to brainly.com now for free help!
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
OS mods get your IP address too...
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
And Jay doesn't care where you live. If he knew, what would he do? The mods all trust him enough to have it, so don't worry.
anonymous
  • anonymous
the problem is there's no warning or whatsoever about him doing this when u download the extension, its all done without the user's consent

Looking for something else?

Not the answer you are looking for? Search for more explanations.

More answers

anonymous
  • anonymous
but if u open chrome developers u can see all the creepy stuffs its sending to his server about ur activities in the browser
anonymous
  • anonymous
jaynator i need a convincing explanation from u for why u tracking our ips
Abhisar
  • Abhisar
@leonardozz , Most of the website you open acquire your IP address so if his extension is tracking your IP then it's not singular. It's not that easy to track someone simply by knowing IPs. Most they can do is know your service provider and your city/state.
Abhisar
  • Abhisar
IP address is like your mobile number, if you make a call the receiver will always know your number.
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Abhisar you are incorrect, there is a lot of things a person can do if they know your IP. They can port scan you, see if you are running vulnerable software on a port, and if you are perhaps they can drop down a root shell or something else less favourable. (Not to mention the possible D/DoS attempts, etc.) @leonardozz your proof? I would start Wireshark or look through the source of the CRX however that seems boring. So you do it.
TheSmartOne
  • TheSmartOne
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @horsegirl27 OS mods get your IP address too... \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) The feature that OpenStudy moderators have called "Ip Check" does not give the ip of the user. It only lists accounts that are associated under the same ip address, so there is no need to fear that a moderator can find out where you live. If an admin uses that feature, then I believe it will list the ip address over there.
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
oki
pooja195
  • pooja195
Smh.
Abhisar
  • Abhisar
@algorithmic , My comment was regarding tracking an individual by means of IP address.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @leonardozz but if u open chrome developers u can see all the creepy stuffs its sending to his server about ur activities in the browser \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) 1 No you cannot... this information is all private, as well as the fact the only information i get as far as ip addresses go is what files are accessed on my server, lets say you access the file "yolo.css" im going to have the recorded in a log stating that "this IP address tried to access so and so file at so and so time", this is a requirment by LAW to have this information recorded... As far as recording the codes that are entered, this is simply so i can improve the extension and add some of the codes that werent there yet, for privace reasons it only goes by username NOT IP for this...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Abhisar @leonardozz , Most of the website you open acquire your IP address so if his extension is tracking your IP then it's not singular. It's not that easy to track someone simply by knowing IPs. Most they can do is know your service provider and your city/state. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) This is mostly correct, but as i just said all websites must by law aquire the ip address, this is so hackers and such can actually be tracked in the event of someone stealing private information from a web server... There are other reasons why that is a law, but this is a big one...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @TheSmartOne \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @horsegirl27 OS mods get your IP address too... \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) The feature that OpenStudy moderators have called "Ip Check" does not give the ip of the user. It only lists accounts that are associated under the same ip address, so there is no need to fear that a moderator can find out where you live. If an admin uses that feature, then I believe it will list the ip address over there. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Yes a admin sees the ip address of users...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Algorithmic @Abhisar you are incorrect, there is a lot of things a person can do if they know your IP. They can port scan you, see if you are running vulnerable software on a port, and if you are perhaps they can drop down a root shell or something else less favourable. (Not to mention the possible D/DoS attempts, etc.) @leonardozz your proof? I would start Wireshark or look through the source of the CRX however that seems boring. So you do it. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) the first part is true, however do i really look like someone thats going to do that? :/ as for the second part... The CRX file itself has practicly nothing, the entire extension is almost all server side (this is because its a lot faster to do updates and also its faster all around for people using the extension, if it was a larger extension it would slow down chrome, which is why i shrunk it down as much as i did.)
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @pooja195 Smh. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) i am to dont feel bad...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Abhisar @algorithmic , My comment was regarding tracking an individual by means of IP address. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) this is also true LOL
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
And as for what was posted on my post... \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @leonardozz nice try janitor but u couldn't find my username on ur backend is bcz i didnt login with my account under ur extension ur extension is illegally stealing storing our OS user's personal information, record our IP addresses, and send them to ur backend without our permission, not to mention u use it to track our location janitor, provide us a convincing argument of why u do this \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Now lets go over this... It is not storing any personal information, The IP addresses are legal and ALL web servers do it... it is actually a LAW to record this information... And i do not track locations... So if you are done... ._.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
Okay I think were done here, you tryed to mess with me, but i'm not the one to mess with... Simply because of the fact i know what im talking about, and you are simply just an internet troll trying to make me look bad :P So now, if this is all wrapped up, anyone up for lunch? My treat LOL, you have to buy the plane ticket to vegas though LOL
Elsa213
  • Elsa213
cx
Elsa213
  • Elsa213
:O
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Jaynator495 show me the proof where it says your chrome extension by LAW has to to have IP address recorded..."
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
The chrome extension runs on scripts and css from my server, the data is brought from the server to openstudy, thefor that has to be logged... Its not the extension that is logged... It is the files it loads.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
If your really immature enough to need proof of the fact that the files it loads is whats logged... http://prntscr.com/7p5ls0
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Jaynator495 first, you insist many times on there's actually a LAW that says chrome extension HAS to record IP? wtf? if you are not insulting viewer's intelligence show us that law
anonymous
  • anonymous
if u can't, wrap up your extension and steal info from some other sites
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Jaynator495 second, "The chrome extension runs on scripts and css from my server, the data is brought from the server to openstudy, thefor that has to be logged..." wow wait a second here, the data is fetched from server when extension activates, there's zero reason why u need the users ip addresses from any technical point of view, explain us CLEARLY why u have to log them
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
Sorry about the wait, i had to go and do some yard work...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
i will continue the response i was typing soon, im going to go have lunch, have a laugh about this... then come back and finish my response... tbh im laughing at this now... its just such a bad attempt filled with impossible things that makes no sense aswell as stuff you couldnt be bothered to do reasearch into its just funny XD
anonymous
  • anonymous
haha right, take your time to come up with a good excuse explaining why you are recording people's IP addresses as well their personal messages
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
ok back, now to continue the message :P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @leonardozz haha right, take your time to come up with a good excuse explaining why you are recording people's IP addresses as well their personal messages \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) what part of no personal information is recorded do you not comprehend... you do realize that for a troll, im the one laughing right? i dont have anywhere to be, im intentionally trying to drag this out instead of just letting eric (e.mccormick) explain it... because honestly im having a good laugh here...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @leonardozz @Jaynator495 first, you insist many times on there's actually a LAW that says chrome extension HAS to record IP? wtf? if you are not insulting viewer's intelligence show us that law \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) There is a law, however it states access logs, once again because your to hard headed (btw, im not sure if you got this, but im legitimitly having fun trying to put you in your place :P if your trying to get a reaction out of me, you did get a few laughs, ill give you that) it is not the extension, it is the resources it loads from MY website... this exponentially speeds up the extension, while at the same time making sure it doesnt slow down chrome to file sizes, it fetches the files from my website, and executes the scripts and css, and in some cases the css is in the script... the website needs to log all attempts to access files... and even if i didnt i couldnt do squat about that part... #BuiltIntoTheWebServerOutOfMyControl... (i legitimetly couldnt breathe for a second there this is so funny x'D)
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @leonardozz if u can't, wrap up your extension and steal info from some other sites \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Considering ive been here since 2010, a trusted user, an ambassador AND a intern for openstudy, i think it speaks for itself that this extension doesnt do stuff it shouldnt, several os staff/moderators have gone through the code themselves with nothing malicious to be found... :P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
i am curious about who would give you a medal though LOL *checks his medal logs*
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
Honestly Jay, I know you wouldn't abuse having information about people, and I know that if the mods can trust you, I can easily trust you. And tbh, you're having too much fun stating this D
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
*XD
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @leonardozz @Jaynator495 second, "The chrome extension runs on scripts and css from my server, the data is brought from the server to openstudy, thefor that has to be logged..." wow wait a second here, the data is fetched from server when extension activates, there's zero reason why u need the users ip addresses from any technical point of view, explain us CLEARLY why u have to log them \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) This is incorrect, this process is automatic to ensure server security, for example lets say someones scanning through my server, they wouldnt get anything because i can identify that they're trying to scan it and block it from finishing its scan automaticly... There is many reasons why this is required. :P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
TBH, im sorta glad your doing this, because all your really doing is getting my extension more installs and publicity, because people actually know i wouldnt do that... :P so thats who gave you a medal :P http://prntscr.com/7p6sw7
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
Of course!!!
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
notice the z on both of there usernames? :P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
Good lord im getting so many medals for this ._.
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
Good.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
BTW, if you were REALLY observant you would have realized im not the only one getting peoples IP... the favorites menu isnt finished on my server (yet) so in the meantime people are using the one from dumbsearch2's extension, (ofcs eventually it will be done on my server using my favorites menu x'D) But his server is also getting your IP everytime you open up the menu... Every Website gets your ip the second you load a webpage, along with the webpage that was loaded :P So why dont you complain to google? the company that DOES invade privacy? or how about yahoo? bing? Reddit? Facebook? Oh heres one! Microsoft... Heck i can even go as far to say that the windows operating system is classified as a virus (and is one) in itself! Are you gonna sue openstudy cause they get your ip too! twitter, minecraftplanet... heck every minecraft server host even has a log of all IPs that connect to the server, are you gonna sue EA games for their game servers? orrrrr maybe youtube? google+? hangouts? skype? hell, skype you can forcibly send viruses just by being in a call with a person... you dont see people using skype complaining do yah? Or how about game of war, the one who uses there website to update their app without sending out a update (also unfortantly, at the same time never updates there desk because of pure lazyness :/) You see what im getting at? How about you sue AND WIN a lawsuit against every website, and 20% of apps made... and all servers made... AS well as your own COMPUTER, because guess what, your own computer logs every LAST thing you do down to the KEY PRESS, so are you gonna sue your own computer? nope... ok then i think were done here and you can stop :P... I was saving this because of the fact that i didnt want to end it instantly, it was too fun... :P
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
come on jay, language puh-leaze
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @horsegirl27 come on jay, language puh-leaze \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) i didnt use any foul language ._.
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
I'm being annoying and saying hell is a bad word xD
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @horsegirl27 I'm being annoying and saying hell is a bad word xD \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) and yet, its not blocked off... imagine that :P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Jaynator495 \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @horsegirl27 I'm being annoying and saying hell is a bad word xD \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) and yet, its not blocked off... imagine that :P \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) i need to get out of this habbit of using qoutes... ._.
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
Yeah. You do.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
so, on a scale of 1-10, how much did i win this argument here? :P
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
On a scale on 1-10... hmm... \(\Huge 1000\)
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
LOL
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
@sleepyjess wanna have a laugh? :P
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
Now uh, since I have the extension... SQUIDWARD
Kash_TheSmartGuy
  • Kash_TheSmartGuy
lol, this argument gave me laughs too. I have the extension too. @Jaynator495 I trust you. I know you wouldn't do that stuff. @Jaynator495 is awesome and he knows what he is talking and doing.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
thanks ^_^
Kash_TheSmartGuy
  • Kash_TheSmartGuy
Well, you deserve at least that!
TheSmartOne
  • TheSmartOne
Jaynator495: 100 leonardozz: 0
TheSmartOne
  • TheSmartOne
the last huge reply was the winner though xD
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @TheSmartOne the last huge reply was the winner though xD \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) indeed... i was saving that because i wanted to have some fun before ending it x'D
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
LOL oh and TSO, you messed up those scores BIG time. Jay: 10000 Leonardozz:-100000
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
OH i just noticed your 75ss horse, congrats LOL
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
FINALLY!!! Thanks :D
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
Im almost 90, by the end of summer i should be 89 with luck LOL
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
A LOT of luck I say ;P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
What can i say, i dont worry about my ss, ;P
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
LOL mhmm that's what they all say as their hearts shatter ;)
TheSmartOne
  • TheSmartOne
Lets stop spamming this post...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @horsegirl27 LOL mhmm that's what they all say as their hearts shatter ;) \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) You realize ive been here years and still im not 90... does that say anything? (then again all the warnings and suspensions doesnt help my situation... :/)
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
x'D
horsegirl27
  • horsegirl27
And TSO... NEVER
anonymous
  • anonymous
all openstudy activities you've been on under the extension are purposely tracked down and sent to @jaynator495 for him and his underwear to creep on if you enjoy letting a 16 year old fapping furiously on your browser history while writing pelletty javascript that freezes your browser plz continue using his extension
EclipsedStar
  • EclipsedStar
@leonardozz You think Jay Jay here is 16+? You're sadly mistaken. Nice guess though. LOL. He is a young, looked-up-to technical masterminded genius, an overlord of codes and scripts. He's also the one contributing to making the Andriod app for this site! I trust his extension, and plus, I haven't had any problems with my browser except from some laughs with his ingenious codes work. I had quite a good laugh reading some ironic points on this post...
TheSmartOne
  • TheSmartOne
@Jesstho.-. thank you for your concern, but I think you should just drop the issue as it isn't look pretty on your side lel
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Abhisar you can track someone via their IP easily as I said in my earlier post it all still applies. Instead of a root shell just think of a RAT, which can screenshot your screen, and keylog your information. A lot more than knowing ones service provider, and their city, and state is possible.
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
two cents
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
privacy policy act
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Algorithmic @Abhisar you can track someone via their IP easily as I said in my earlier post it all still applies. Instead of a root shell just think of a RAT, which can screenshot your screen, and keylog your information. A lot more than knowing ones service provider, and their city, and state is possible. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Tracking IPs isnt as easy as you think, you cant just go poof and get someones pinpoint location, in 90% of cases you need a warrant and need to fill a aplication to their internet provider for them to eventually release the location of the client, and even then they often dont... no exceptions, not even for government... :/
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
:) alright it is safe... let us test it. all of you who think it is safe, list your valid IP addresses here.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @nincompoop :) alright it is safe... let us test it. all of you who think it is safe, list your valid IP addresses here. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Ok, that would be a invasion of privacy because then the IP addresses can be linked to a username, the way i have it, it is annonymous data, no usernames from os are associated with them...
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
so are you invading privacy?
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
I could have very easily associate it with os usernames in 5 minutes, but i didnt because some people prefer not to lend out their ip address, and since their are so many users... it is unlikely to actually be able to pair any with os usernames without adding the code neccessary to do so
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
I am extending the concept of collection and dissemination of information and notice of both.
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
how am I invading privacy when I am letting people display their IP addresses instead of my collecting without their knowledge?
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
it's just an IP address, correct? It would be difficult and a person would need to jump through hoops (unbelievable and almost impossible) just to be able to gather one's relative information. Let us test how true this is.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
If you ask them to display it, it is no longer annonymous, because they are posting it with their os username... thats how... Plus with that logic eveyr website in the world will say somewhere that they collect ip addresses...
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
so what is the violation you claim? how then am I invading.. it is not an act of invasion, but a clever way of social engineering.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @nincompoop it's just an IP address, correct? It would be difficult and a person would need to jump through hoops (unbelievable and almost impossible) just to be able to gather one's relative information. Let us test how true this is. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) location wise, for people who can hack could use these IP addresses to invade someones data aswell...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Jaynator495 \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @nincompoop it's just an IP address, correct? It would be difficult and a person would need to jump through hoops (unbelievable and almost impossible) just to be able to gather one's relative information. Let us test how true this is. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) location wise, for people who can hack could use these IP addresses to invade someones data aswell... \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) The likelyhood of someone actually doing this is slim to none though...
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Jaynator495 \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Jaynator495 \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @nincompoop it's just an IP address, correct? It would be difficult and a person would need to jump through hoops (unbelievable and almost impossible) just to be able to gather one's relative information. Let us test how true this is. \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) location wise, for people who can hack could use these IP addresses to invade someones data aswell... \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) The likelyhood of someone actually doing this is slim to none though... \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Plus once again, with that logic go sue openstudy because they have a log just like mine, listing ip's along with date file accessing, all to PREVENT invasion of privacy... -_-
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
should i put in big bolded letters on my home page "HEY WE COLLECT IP's BECAUSE WE HAVE TO!" no... -_-
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
when you collect information, even for technical use or for improvement of service or some sort, you need to be able to lay out a way how you would protect those very information. Otherwise, collection of information (IP address) cannot be allowed for the cause they were laid out. If solely, we give in to blind trust, then third party-users (such as you) on this website will be difficult to be held accountable should there be a breach of privacy. It will be difficult to track where the breach came from and would require a very extensive investigation. To finally put an end to my two cents, how are you protecting the information you're collecting?
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @nincompoop when you collect information, even for technical use or for improvement of service or some sort, you need to be able to lay out a way how you would protect those very information. Otherwise, collection of information (IP address) cannot be allowed for the cause they were laid out. If solely, we give in to blind trust, then third party-users (such as you) on this website will be difficult to be held accountable should there be a breach of privacy. It will be difficult to track where the breach came from and would require a very extensive investigation. To finally put an end to my two cents, how are you protecting the information you're collecting? \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) Well lets see, a ssl certificate first of all, plus the information is secure through first a major website, then amazon, unless you know someone who can hack amazons server farms, this information is secure.
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
we can talk about security clearances next if you want to expand this conversation to something more tangible. I am not here to accuse anyone :) I am here to provide something to think about.
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
SSL certificate means nothing these days.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
Yea well, still... unless you know someone who can hack amazons server farms... ._.
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Jaynator495 an ssl certificate is to secure your information when transmitted to a website you dumbfk
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
the end of last year alone, an estimated 13000 Amazon accounts were hacked.
anonymous
  • anonymous
the question is to prove that you are actually capable of protecting the ip addresses you are collecting, when stored on your server
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
thats accounts... never before has their main server farm been successfully hacked....
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
then again the serverfamr is releativley new...
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
correct, the SSL certificate is for the transmission of information across machines, not a way to protect saved data.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
ill be back in about a hour... ._. *dishes to do and switching computers*
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
and lets face it, your not gonna win this argument >_>
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
who is going to win an argument when the losers will be the people whose information are breached?
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
it is not about you or him
anonymous
  • anonymous
"Tracking IPs isnt as easy as you think, you cant just go poof and get someones pinpoint location, in 90% of cases you need a warrant and need to fill a aplication to their internet provider for them to eventually release the location of the client, and even then they often dont... no exceptions, not even for government... :/" @Jaynator495 why would I want to track IPs? I though this was about tracking users via their IP address. As for getting some ones exact location via their IP address is usually not possible although certain services usually get it correct within a 30 meter distance, with some social engineering I am sure one could obtain a person's exact location. (Everything below this line is off topic fun_) I cringe at the usage of SSL, surely you mean TLS. Anyway even with SSL or TLS if the machine is compromised via an extension or add-on or some other executable code so is your privacy. I am not sure of Chrome's extension policy, but the Mozilla add-on site mandates that if your add-on collects personal information like IPs, cookie hashes, etc you must define such behaviour clearly, so that the user who installs your add-on is fully aware. (I would think Chrome would have something alike.) The idea a person has no real threat if his IP is made to known to the world is a amusing. Nmap + Given IP + RAT (preferably something coded for the older .NET frameworks, so version 2.0) = A common method of exploit. (Assuming someone is running a vulnerable version of Skype or some other application that uses UPnP.)
anonymous
  • anonymous
@TheSmartOne What?
kohai
  • kohai
I didn't even know there was an extension... Must be out of the loop...
TheSmartOne
  • TheSmartOne
o.o
nincompoop
  • nincompoop
I don't think the use of EC2 is fully understood in this discussion. It will be a good topic to raise in conjunction to securing collected information.
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
\(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{Originally Posted by}}\) @Algorithmic "Tracking IPs isnt as easy as you think, you cant just go poof and get someones pinpoint location, in 90% of cases you need a warrant and need to fill a aplication to their internet provider for them to eventually release the location of the client, and even then they often dont... no exceptions, not even for government... :/" @Jaynator495 why would I want to track IPs? I though this was about tracking users via their IP address. As for getting some ones exact location via their IP address is usually not possible although certain services usually get it correct within a 30 meter distance, with some social engineering I am sure one could obtain a person's exact location. (Everything below this line is off topic fun_) I cringe at the usage of SSL, surely you mean TLS. Anyway even with SSL or TLS if the machine is compromised via an extension or add-on or some other executable code so is your privacy. I am not sure of Chrome's extension policy, but the Mozilla add-on site mandates that if your add-on collects personal information like IPs, cookie hashes, etc you must define such behaviour clearly, so that the user who installs your add-on is fully aware. (I would think Chrome would have something alike.) The idea a person has no real threat if his IP is made to known to the world is a amusing. Nmap + Given IP + RAT (preferably something coded for the older .NET frameworks, so version 2.0) = A common method of exploit. (Assuming someone is running a vulnerable version of Skype or some other application that uses UPnP.) \(\color{#0cbb34}{\text{End of Quote}}\) i never said if it was made known to the world it would be safe, infact in about 17 minutes depending upon your network security if everyone in the worl knew it, someone would already be seeing your information... you know what, its honestly not even worth it, you keep misunderstanding what im saying -_- :P
Jaynator495
  • Jaynator495
And fine if it makes you feel better, where it says permsions i will put in this extension uses cookies and collects IP's for the purpose of server security when it is fetching certain files it requires to run from my server, these IP's are secure and are not distrubited... All you had to do was really ask me to put that there in the next client side update :P
anonymous
  • anonymous
@Jaynator495 see where I wrote: "(Everything below this line is off topic fun_)" /off topic/ means it was not a dialog between me, and you but the whole thread. So you are mistaking what I am saying.

Looking for something else?

Not the answer you are looking for? Search for more explanations.