What was different about the Second Great Awakening from the first?
Stacey Warren - Expert brainly.com
Hey! We 've verified this expert answer for you, click below to unlock the details :)
At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga.
Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
I got my questions answered at brainly.com in under 10 minutes. Go to brainly.com now for free help!
• Early 1800s; usually 1810s to as late as the 1840s
• Most known leader: Charles Grandison Finney (has appeared in related DBQ essays)
• Directly influenced by increasing political participation of common citizens
• Plays a direct role in the antebellum reform movements, especially abolitionism (but also
including temperance, prison reform, and women’s rights – remember the Mock Exam FRQ?)
• Popular in the backcountry; especially the southern Appalachian regions
• Again, slaveholders tried to prevent slaves from attending; eventually had to come up with
Christian reasons for slavery
• Role of the Second Great Awakening on the frontier? As people move away from traditional
homelands, they must search for a sense of community
• This is really where newer sects gain increased membership: Methodists, Baptists
• Also, very different sects emerge: Mormons, Seventh-Day Adventists