Given that (5,4) is on the graph of f(x), find the corresponding point for the function f(-1/3x).
Stacey Warren - Expert brainly.com
Hey! We 've verified this expert answer for you, click below to unlock the details :)
At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga.
Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
I got my questions answered at brainly.com in under 10 minutes. Go to brainly.com now for free help!
This question is phrased a little strangely which makes it hard to understand exactly what they want. But consider this,
1. We know that (5,4) is on the graph of f(x). That is, "When x = 5, then y = 4."
2. This means that f(5) = 4. In English, "When x = 5, then y = 4." (same thing)
3. We are to find the "corresponding point" for f(-1/3x). This sounds weird.
4. But, all we know is that f(5) = 4. This is the only information we have.
5. But look! I can be clever and do this...
6. Take f(-1/3 x) and plug in x = -15. Then,
7. f(-1/3 * -15) = f(5) = 4.
8. So the corresponding point must be x = -15 and y = 4. That is, (-15, 4).
@jtvatsim You're a life saver. I'm still slightly confused on this but you explained this very well. Could you help me solve another one?
Glad to help in any little way. If you had any questions on this one, just let me know. It had me stumped for awhile myself... :) Feel free to post a new question on the site so that everyone can see it.