A community for students.

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

anonymous

  • one year ago

I have an unlimited supply of standard 6-sided dice. What's the fewest number of dice that I have to simultaneously roll to be at least 90% likely to roll at least one 6?

  • This Question is Closed
  1. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    My understanding is, I used complementary counting and count the probability of not rolling a 6, P(6)=1/6. So the probability of not rolling a six is 1-1/6=5/6. Now we are given that we need 90% to be our 'successes' so the remaining 10% are our 'losses'. This means that 10% = 5/6. What do I do from here?

  2. phi
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 3

    I would use the binomial distribution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution you want Pr(1 or more 6's) >= 0.9 which is the same as Pr(0 6's) < 0.1 using the binomial distribution, with Pr(6) =1/6 we have \[\Pr( \text{k successes, n trials}) = \left(\begin{matrix}n \\ k\end{matrix}\right)p^k(1-p)^{n-k}\\ Pr(0)= \left(\begin{matrix}n \\0\end{matrix}\right)\left(\frac{1}{6}\right)^0\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^n \le 0.1 \] solve for n

  3. phi
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 3

    n > log(.1)/log(5/6) =12.6 so n= 13 is the min number of dice to roll to have a 90% chance of getting 1 or more 6's in one roll

  4. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    is there a simpler way to do this. I mean without using Binomial and log

  5. Not the answer you are looking for?
    Search for more explanations.

    • Attachments:

Ask your own question

Sign Up
Find more explanations on OpenStudy
Privacy Policy

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.