At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga.
Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.
Choose one 19th century American poem or short story and one historical document.
Write to compare the ways in which each of these represents the changing popular idea of democracy from the time period in which it was written. Cite specific evidence from the literature to support your ideas.
Choose one short story and one poem from the 19th century.
Write to compare the ways in which each of these may be considered representative of American culture during the time period in which it was written. Cite specific evidence from the literature to support your ideas.
Below is a list of reading selections that can be used for this assessment:
• "The Story of an Hour" (1894) by Kate Chopin's (short story)
• "How to Tell a Story" (1835-1910) by Mark Twain (short story)
• "The Raven" (1845) by Edgar Allan Poe (poem)
• "Ain't I a Woman" (1851) by Sojourner Truth (historical document)
• "Declaration of Sentiments" (1848) from the first women's rights convention (historical document)