A community for students.

Here's the question you clicked on:

55 members online
  • 0 replying
  • 0 viewing

Insert_username

  • one year ago

Bruce has a bottle that contains 60% of lemon juice and the rest water. The bottle has 1 liter of water. Part A: Write an equation in one variable that can be used to find the total number of liters of lemon juice and water in the bottle. Define the variable used in the equation. Part B: How many liters of lemon juice are present in the bottle? Show your work. Could anyone help me with this?

  • This Question is Closed
  1. anonymous
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    X amount of lemon juice y amount of water 0.6x+0.4Y=1 i am not sure

  2. Insert_username
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Ok thanks!

  3. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    I like your x and y choice, but think your y is unnecessary. We already know how much water we have, what don't we know?

  4. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    Also, we will need two equations if we had two variables. So we need to come up with something else. So, like above, start with "what does the question want in the end?"

  5. Insert_username
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    If 40% of the bottle is 1 liter than there are 1.5 liters of lemon juice in the bottle. So I'm just confused on the equation. The question says to write an equation with 1 variable

  6. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    alright, well that is good that you have an answer, but I don't think it is correct. So how did you arrive at that answer?

  7. Insert_username
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    @FibonacciChick666

  8. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    (I think you may have been close in how you got your answer though, That is why seeing your work will be helpful)

  9. Insert_username
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    The question said the bottle had 1 liter of water in it and that liter of water is 40% of the bottle

  10. Insert_username
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    I just figured that since 40% of the bottle is 1 liter that 60% percent would be 1.5

  11. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    well yes that is true 60% of the total is 1.5 but the question is asking for the combined total not the individual parts. But how did you figure it? What process ddid you use? You didn't just pull 1.5 out of thin air.

  12. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    hint: make the variable what the question wants you to find for your problem

  13. FibonacciChick666
    • one year ago
    Best Response
    You've already chosen the best response.
    Medals 0

    another approach is to rewrite the question then translate it into math terms. SO you are given that 60% of a solution is lemon juice. so you know the other 40% is water. Then they tell you that there is 1 liter of water. Well in one sentence that is "40% of some solution is 1 liter" Translate that to math and you have an answer. Sorry I have to go. Best of luck!

  14. Not the answer you are looking for?
    Search for more explanations.

    • Attachments:

Ask your own question

Sign Up
Find more explanations on OpenStudy
Privacy Policy

Your question is ready. Sign up for free to start getting answers.

spraguer (Moderator)
5 → View Detailed Profile

is replying to Can someone tell me what button the professor is hitting...

23

  • Teamwork 19 Teammate
  • Problem Solving 19 Hero
  • You have blocked this person.
  • ✔ You're a fan Checking fan status...

Thanks for being so helpful in mathematics. If you are getting quality help, make sure you spread the word about OpenStudy.

This is the testimonial you wrote.
You haven't written a testimonial for Owlfred.